Project Zomboid is a survival game where players must fight off zombies and other hostile creatures in a post-apocalyptic world. The game has an auto-save feature that automatically saves your progress at various points, which can be helpful in case of a game crash. In addition, you can create backups of your save files to protect your data.
How to Save Your Game
There are two ways to save your game in Project Zomboid:
- Auto-save: The game will automatically save your progress at various points.
- Manual save: To manually save your game, press the “Esc” button, then click “QUIT”. This will create a manual save file with the current date and time.
How to Load a Save
To load a save in Project Zomboid, select “Load Game” from the main menu. This will bring up a list of all your available save files.
Where Save Files are Located
On Windows, your Project Zomboid save files are located in the
%UserProfile%\zomboid folder. You can access this folder by pasting the path into the File Explorer address bar and pressing Enter.
On a Mac, your save files are located in the
~/Zomboid folder. To access the Library folder, open Finder and press the combination of keys “Shift + Command (⌘) + G”.
How to Create Backups of Your Save Files
To create backups of your save files, follow these steps:
- Locate your Project Zomboid save files. They are located in the
zomboidfolder, or a folder named
- Copy your save file and paste it back into the game save directory.
You can also use the following script to create a backup of your save files:
Game Save backup script, after running it will backup zomboid folder to desktop, named pzfans_xxx
:: author: pzfans.com @echo off @echo ================================================================ @echo Author:pzfans @echo Url:pzfans.com @echo ================================================================ setlocal enabledelayedexpansion set "year=%date:~0,4%" set "month=%date:~5,2%" set "day=%date:~8,2%" set "hour=%time:~0,2%" set "minute=%time:~3,2%" set "second=%time:~6,2%" set "date=%year%%month%%day%" set "time=%hour%%minute%%second%" set "file=%UserProfile%\zomboid" set "dest=%UserProfile%\Desktop\pzfans_backup_%date%_%time%" set /p "choice=Do you want to backup?(y/n)" if "%choice%"=="y" ( mkdir "%dest%" xcopy "%file%" "%dest%" /s /e /y @echo ================================================================ echo Backup completed:%dest% ) else ( @echo ================================================================ echo Backup canceled. ) pause
Copy the code, paste it into Notepad, and save it as a .bat file
Or Download zomboid_save_backup.bat
Avoiding Losing Your Character in Project Zomboid
There are a few things you can do to avoid losing your character in Project Zomboid:
- Use the auto-save feature to save your progress at various points throughout the game.
- Manually save your game by using a bed and sleeping. This will allow you to save your progress at any time.
- If you have started multiple different games, you can load an old world from the main menu.
- Create backups of your save files to protect your data in case of a game crash or other issues.
Tips for Surviving in Project Zomboid
Here are a few tips for surviving in Project Zomboid:
- Find a safe place to hide and fortify. This could be a house, a building, or any other location that provides protection from zombies and other dangers.
- Gather resources such as food, water, and medical supplies to sustain yourself.
- Keep an eye on your character’s health, hunger, and thirst levels, and take care of them as needed.
- Learn to craft and use weapons and other items to defend yourself against zombies and other dangers.
- Explore the world and find other survivors to team up with. Together, you can work towards surviving in this hostile world.
In Project Zomboid, you must use all your skills and resources to survive in a post-apocalyptic world full of zombies and other dangers. By saving and loading your game, creating backups of your save files, and following the tips for survival, you can increase your chances of making it through the game alive.